Thursday, June 26, 2008

Rescue from the unrelenting doom



“God rescued us from dead-end alleys and dark dungeons. He’s set us up in the kingdom of the Son he loves so much, the Son who got us out of the pit we were in, got rid of the sins we were doomed to keep repeating. ”

Peterson, Eugene H.: The Message : The Bible in Contemporary Language. Colorado Springs, Colo. : NavPress, 2002, S. Col 1:13-14

Rescue is coming. Help is on the way. What comforting words. Even more comforting are the words: “Rescue is here!” and “Help has arrived!”

I went mountain biking with a friend of mine on a trail that I often take. I had been on this trail with my friend before, so I may have gotten complacent or taken the ride for granted, we both did. We approached the first big downhill on this technical single track with some serious speed. The trail was rutted out and was covered with leaves and riddled with roots. Three quarters of the way down I looked back to see if my friend had executed the hill, I was concerned. I knew the trail was dangerous. It was difficult for me and I had done this many times before. As I looked back, I saw my friend do a high side fall and launch over the bike landing on his shoulder and flipping forward. He looked like a rag doll being tossed into the air. I stopped my bike, yelled for him not to move, and assured him that help was on the way. While this was comforting, in a limited sort of way, my friend was not truly comforted till help had actually arrived with plenty of pain killers and a sling for his broken clavicle at the hospital.

I don’t know if you have ever been in an accident or injured, or if you have ever gotten yourself into a predicament where you really needed the assistance of others, you really needed some help, but these situations can be a very frightening thing. Some of the emotions are fear, anxiety, worry, hurt, despair, loneliness, and fill in the blank with your own personal favorite.

There is good news and there is bad news about our sinful predicament. I will start with the bad news. We are sinners, we have sinned, and we will sin again. Now, for the good news: we have been rescued and we will be rescued. Rescue is here! Help has arrived! God Himself has lifted us up out of the pit that we have dug for ourselves and has saved us from the unrelenting doom that we seem to persist on putting ourselves in because of our sinfulness.

Rescued for His Kingdom,


Robbie

No comments:

Post a Comment