Tuesday, June 17, 2008

My Two Mites



There is an American idiom that says, “To put my two cents in.” This expression comes from a British saying, which is to give my “pennyworth.” Basically, the turn of phrase is prefacing an opinion, something that everyone has and it may come cheaply without exuberant effort for some. However, this could also be used as sarcasm which prefaces that you are about to state your strong felt opinion, or a known blunt in your face truth and this will cost you and me a great deal. Irony, sweet irony.

This expression, “To put my two cents in,” could have deeper roots, or at least I would like to make believe that it has deeper roots in a New Testament story of the widow and her two mites from Mark 12: 41-44. The story goes like this:

“Now Jesus sat opposite the treasury and saw how the people put money into the treasury. And many who were rich put in much. Then one poor widow came and threw in two mites, which make a quadrans (Her life savings people). So He called His disciples to Himself and said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that this poor widow has put in more than all those who have given to the treasury; for they all put in out of their abundance, but she out of her poverty put in all that she had, her whole livelihood.”

The New King James Version. Nashville : Thomas Nelson, 1982, S. Mk 12:41-44

My Two Mites is a presumptuous title for a blog, or is it. . . I am by no means putting into this glorified journal my whole livelihood as an offering to God and to my brothers and sisters. I am also not putting in much out of my own riches, as I own nothing and have nothing that is my own. I am only making an offering out of what has been entrusted to me. I imagine this title could be both presumptuous and humbly accurate, depending the scenario and many other factors. I am offering up all I have on a good day with good intentions and I could be terribly sarcastic, off, sinful, and opinionated on a bad day. Sometimes it is all I have and sometimes it is a drop in the bucket considering my potential wealth apart from my fallen nature.

I only hope that this offering is blessed by the Lord to point someone, myself included, closer to Jesus. If I put in all I have, my humble opinion and experience with Jesus and His word thus far in my life, may God be praised; and if I dump in all riches in abundance, may God get the glory and may He be praised all the same, as it is all His. Again, I have nothing.

My two mites, His abundant riches,


Robbie

No comments:

Post a Comment