Friday, January 1, 2010

New Beginnings: New Year's 2010

Bridge Over, © 2009, Irene Pruitt

New Beginnings

sit and stare
at the blank wall
I am the clean slate

clean,
with fresh chalk
at my fingertips

write out your wildest dreams
draw your wildest life adventures
show me where I will take you
illustrate where you will go
tell me all you need to know

I Am your Clean Slate
your New Beginning

New Beginnings,
© 2002, Robbie Pruitt


New Year’s 2010

“We plan the way we want to live, but only God makes us able to live it.” –Proverbs 16:9

“Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart.” –Psalm 37:4

New Year’s is not my favorite holiday. If I am honest, I don’t really like it that much at all. I have had some miserable New Year’s celebrations. I have also had some great ones, like going into New York to ring in 2001. It seems like this time of the year brings on a lot of pressure to do something great or new in celebration. New Year’s also brings with it a lot of reflection, contemplation, planning, and looking forward and can be emotionally charged or bring with it a lot of baggage.

One thing that is great about New Year’s is that it is a time for new beginnings. I’m not talking about making plans to join a gym, quitting smoking, or going on a diet here as much as I am talking about starting fresh, dreaming, making plans, growing from past mistakes or misfortunes, and deciding to live in a new way. Resolutions are great and having a set time to make them is good as well, but everyday can be a new beginning. Either way, when considering our resolutions, let’s consider Jesus’ words in John 15:5-6, "I am the Vine, you are the branches. When you’re joined with me and I with you, the relation intimate and organic, the harvest is sure to be abundant. Separated, you can’t produce a thing. Anyone who separates from me is deadwood."

May we find our new beginnings in Jesus this year, for apart from Him, we cannot do a thing.

Would a life of abiding in God be our clean slate.

Happy New Year!


Robbie


Works Cited

The New King James Version. Nashville : Thomas Nelson, 1982, S. Ps 37:4

Peterson, Eugene H.: The Message : The Bible in Contemporary Language. Colorado Springs, Colo. : NavPress, 2002, S. Proverbs 16:9, John 15:5-6.

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more with you on resolutions for the New Years. But! I have quit smoking since then and it has been great for me. I can now run for more then 30 seconds and be able to take big breathes of fresh air. I am Loving it. Also, I feel like 2010 has been a new beginning with my relationship with Christ. We spoke privately and you spoke many words of wisdom to me that put my feelings in a different outlook and on a different level then the feelings that i have for the Lord. Through prayer i have been feeling much more content with what has been happening in my life, not to say the emotions are all gone, but it has been a hasty recovery...

    Robbie I really like this blog spot! Keep at it please. I hope your classes are going well, and you're always in my prayers!

    -henri k-g

    ReplyDelete